This week in media news we explore 2020’s first viral trend, Facebook’s five areas of focus, and Pinterest replacing Snapchat in popularity.
Will you be implementing any of these into your digital marketing strategy? Anything we missed? I’d love to hear your thoughts, post in the comments below:
- 2020’s first viral Instagram trend has been custom story effects, which can be created by anyone in Facebook’s Spark AR Studio.
- Possible effects include filters, different camera lenses, or even randomly generated 2020 predictions, Disney characters, and other novelty options.
- Viewers can tap on the story to download the effect, use it themselves, then post for their audiences to see and download. Creators of viral effects have been known to grow their audience by hundreds of thousands through the popularity of their effects.
Source: Social Media Today.
- The Audience Insights tab gives Twitter users information about their audience’s demographics, interests, social media and purchasing habits.
- Twitter has confirmed they will remove the option entirely on January 30th.
Source: Digital Information World.
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted on the platform his long-term vision for Facebook and the future he foresees for it in the next ten years.
- His five key areas of focus include Generational Change, A New Private Social Platform, Decentralizing Opportunity, The Next Computing Platform, and New Forms of Governance.
- Pinterest grew to 82.4 million users surpassing Snapchat’s 80.2 million, at a growth rate of 9.1% in 2019.
- eMarketer attributes this to Pinterest’s more universal appeal, while Snapchat is heavily targeted towards teens and young adults.
Source: Mobile Marketer.
- Some users spotted the feature in testing in February of 2019, but Instagram confirmed via Twitter that they will be testing the option throughout 2020.
- So far, only a small portion of users have been given the option, with no indications as to time frame or regions.
- The Art of Listening from a World-Class Manager | Adam Mendler | S2 EP 4 - April 13, 2021
- The hidden power of mushrooms | Julian Mitchell | Unstoppable #114 - October 13, 2020
- From the navy to the business world | Anthony Richardson | Unstoppable #113 - October 5, 2020