This week in media news, Instagram allows users to create face filters, WordPress buys Tumblr, and YouTube introduces members-only video content.
Will you be implementing any of these into your digital marketing strategy? Anything we missed? I’d love to hear your thoughts, post in the comments below:
- Facebook announced it will be releasing Spark AR, a tool that allows Instagram users to create their own face filters and effects.
- The tool has been in beta-testing since April, and is now available to the public.
- Twitter has announced numerous new features are in the beta-testing stage.
- New features include search within DM’s, subscribing to notifications from any tweet, customizable timelines based on interests, support for live photos, and drag to rearrange photos whilst drafting a tweet.
- YouTube introduced channel subscriptions last year, allowing users to subscribe to their favourite channels to access merchandise, live-chat features, and exclusive posts.
- Channels will now be able to upload videos which can be seen by all, but feature a note indicating only paying members are able to click through and watch the video.
- Tumblr was sold from Yahoo! To Verizon in 2017, and Verizon recently announced they were looking to offload Tumlr to focus on their publishing sites, like HuffPost.
- Automattic, the company that owns WordPress, will be purchasing Tumblr for just a fraction of the price Verizon paid for it.
Source: The Washington Post.
- Facebook Watch allows users to browse video content from creators they follow, but will now include a paid subscription service.
- Facebook has partnered with four video content creators to create four channels Facebook users can subscribe to.
- The four channels are Britbox, Tastemade Plus, MotorTrend, and DropOut by CollegeHumour.
- The hidden power of mushrooms | Julian Mitchell | Unstoppable #114 - October 13, 2020
- From the navy to the business world | Anthony Richardson | Unstoppable #113 - October 5, 2020
- How to produce tasty meat without killing animals | Michael Fox | Unstoppable #112 - September 28, 2020